Students Celebrate Thanksgiving Traditions

Photo Courtesy of Wiki Commons user "Thekohser"

Thanksgiving turkey, a typical celebration of this holiday

Hallie O'Rourke, Assistant Academics Editor

The Thanksgiving holiday is right around the corner, and many people are planning a variety of activities to celebrate this. Of course, tons of people will be flocking towards grocery stores to purchase the token Thanksgiving turkey to eat along with other foods that are typical to the holiday.

“[We eat] turkey, obviously, we usually have mashed potatoes, stuffing, pumpkin pie, and vegetables,” sophomore Wade Burnette said.

Along with the well-known foods that are eaten at Thanksgiving, it is also often a holiday to spend time with family. This is because of the purpose of the holiday; to give thanks. Many people all over the country get together with family members to bond and share in the spirit of this holiday together.

“Usually all of my dad’s siblings come up for Thanksgiving and my mom cooks for them,” freshman Sarah Walsh said. “We usually just all hang out in the basement with each other and watch movies. I think it’s a really good family bonding experience.”

Seemingly small activities can be very beneficial to spending time with family during this popular holiday.

“We all go to my uncle’s house in New York. We all get together to celebrate Thanksgiving,” sophomore Komal Desai said. “[One of the ways we celebrate is] we all play football together in the backyard.”

Even though turkey is often the spotlight of a Thanksgiving meal, some people have dietary restrictions that prevent them for being able to eat this famous poultry. Although some people celebrate Thanksgiving without a turkey, they still enjoy many other foods that are typical to this holiday and appreciate the celebration.

“We’re vegetarian so we always find different vegetarian things we can do instead [of turkey],” sophomore Komal Desai said. “We have had tofurkey before so we usually eat that. It doesn’t taste very good, but it’s not that big of a deal. We also have other foods like cranberry sauce, green beans, bread rolls, and corn.”