New teachers bring diversity to the growing school community

French teacher Maria Goebert instructs her class on important concepts before students take one of their first quizzes

Ted Thomas, Academics Editor

To accommodate the growing student population and make up for the teachers who retired or moved away last year, the school has gained 40 staff members for the 2016-2017 year. This diverse group includes faculty with characteristics ranging from a Russian French teacher to Chantilly alums and from veterans to first-year teachers.

“The biggest difference in moving up here is the area,” math teacher Emily Clark, who recently moved from North Carolina, said. “Coming up [to live in Virginia] is very different. [There is] a very diverse group of people.”

Along with the uniqueness that the school offers, it also is a very open and welcoming environment, for many faculty and staff. Both students and teachers have been enthusiastic about the new additions and have helped teachers get into the swing of things here at school. With  assistance from mentor teachers and students, the teachers have quickly learned how to navigate the school and become involved in the Chantilly community.

“[Mentor teachers and the new teachers] work together on curriculum,” lead mentor teacher Angie Rollet said. “Even more importantly [though,] it’s [teaching] the other stuff; it’s the school culture, the school climate, how the grade book works and what are the expectations of this school.”

Many of the new teachers have noticed several aspects of the school that set it apart from others in the country as well as the rest of the world.

“Russian schools are very different because we don’t have the separation between high school, middle school and elementary school,” French teacher Maria Goebert said. “It’s one group of students of about 30 to 40 people that are together with each other and they all have the same schedule. Russian education gives a more fundamental education, basic knowledge of everything. Here, it is more specialized.”

With all the unique parts that make our school special, some may wonder what the most surprising part of the school is. While many say it is diversity or lack of windows that sets the school apart, according to Academy counselor Sean McCoart, it is the sheer size of the school.

“This is a big school,” McCoart said. “I have been involved in a couple different schools, but this is a large and complex school.”

The 40 new faculty members bring even more to the culture of our ever-growing community and impact each student in a unique way.