More than just cords: honor societies provide various benefits

The French Honor Society poses for a club picture.

Gray Jones, News Editor

Math Honor Society

One of the many honor societies at Chantilly is Math Honor Society (MHS). To meet the qualifications, students must maintain a 3.5 weighted grade point average in their math classes. Requirements, including precalculus, are needed in order to partake in MHS activities, such as tutoring. Once a month, members of the honor society are mandated to attend a math class during Charger Time and tutor their peers in need of help.

“Tutors help students with homework and understanding math concepts in general,” MHS officer and junior Diya Khilnani said. 

Students that have been in MHS for a year are able to apply for an officer position.

“The officers plan meetings, organize schedules, check if the students meet the Math Honor Society requirements, promote the honor society and count dues,” Khilnani said.

Many students join this organization to build up their college applications for the future. As well as benefiting the tutors, it also aides students who may be struggling with math concepts, regardless of their level.

“[MHS] helps tutors refine their math concepts as they are teaching students,” Khilnani said.  “It allows for students to get the help they need in order to be successful in their math class.”

National Art Honor Society

The National Art Honor Society (NAHS) is one of the more creative options for those striving to be in these respected groups. Since this honor society is more artistically oriented, the requirement to become a member is a 3.0-grade point average in an art class, as compared to the 3.5-grade point average required by most other honor societies. Students must be in at least their second year of an art class to be selected for NAHS.

“We participate in volunteer activities like Taste of Chantilly, the Pyramid Art Show and the haunted house,” NAHS treasurer and senior Christina Park said.

The members are provided with these opportunities in order to fulfill their NAHS volunteer hour requirement, which is something that several other honor societies ask of their members as well.

“You need 10 hours to get the cord, so we offer those events so the members can get their hours,” Park said.

Like any other honor society, NAHS is student-run, which means all of the officers must work together to plan the events and coordinate all club responsibilities.

“The atmosphere is really fun and encouraging, especially at events where everyone works together,” Park said. “It’s a great opportunity to meet new people.”

French Honor Society

Some students decide to join an honor society for the language they have taken throughout high school. French Honor Society is one of the many that students join to further their participation in language classes and clubs. As long as students maintain a B+ or higher letter grade in their French class, they are able to join. French Honor Society members take on many projects throughout the year that allow them to immerse themselves further in the French culture.

“Among these activities are Taste of Chantilly, an elementary and middle school outreach [program], tutoring, Passport to Fun, Mardi Gras party, Dîner en Blanc and cheese tasting,” French Honor Society sponsor and teacher Elaine Gonzalez said.

Through the Passport to Fun program at the Chantilly Regional Library, honor society members teach local children about the French language and expose them to Francophone countries around the world. Student leaders provide ideas for the program and help plan the sessions. The French Honor Society is another student-run club that provides valuable experience to officers leading their peers.

“Since we have new leadership every year, it’s important that the student officers feel that they contribute to the direction of the society according to their vision,” Gonzalez said. “Chairing an event or being an officer can give students the chance to shine and discover hidden talents, which is why we offer many opportunities to take on a leadership role.”