DECA’s First Social

Hallie O'Rourke, Assistant Academics Editor

The marketing room was packed with students this past Friday as they gathered for the first DECA social of the year.

“It was definitely an incentive to get people to join and start thinking about what DECA is, but it was also to show people how fun DECA can be,” senior and Vice President of promotion and chapter activities Maria Elizarova said, “A lot of people think it’s all about work and no play; we wanted to show people we love socializing and having good food, and I think [this social] achieved that.”

With free bagels and drinks along with organized games, all members got to know each other and learning about the fun side of DECA.

“I think it’s a really fun way to socialize and meet other people interested in DECA,” sophomore Sarah LeMasters said.

In addition to getting to know other members of the club, these students began thinking of what they’re going to do with DECA later this year.

“I’m looking forward competing this year hopefully and getting past districts,” sophomore Jessica Liu said.

Competitions are also important to many of the dedicated members of DECA; however, the socials play a vital role in this club as well.

“At the very least we have one [social] every quarter but we are trying to have one every month or so,” Elizarova said.

The dedicated board members of DECA have lots in store for the new year and plan to draw in even more marketing students to join this club through the fun socials and with other incentives.