Performing Arts Department prepares for Tiny Tots

In+the+auditorium%2C+senior+Tyler+Hicks%2C+who+plays+Santa%2C+and+senior+Harini+Bachu%2C+prepare+for+the+theaters+Tiny+Tots+performance.+

Photo provided by Samantha Massi

In the auditorium, senior Tyler Hicks, who plays Santa, and senior Harini Bachu, prepare for the theater’s Tiny Tots performance.

Nithya Muthukumar, News Editor

Performers rush into the auditorium, filled up with sounds of chiming triangles, beats of a drum and ruffling of sheet music. Choir warms up their vocal cords, the orchestra tightens up their bows and the band sets up their large instruments. With the holiday season approaching, the Performing Arts Department prepares for their annual winter concert, Tiny Tots on Thursday, Dec. 9 in the school auditorium from 10:30 a.m. and 12:45 p.m. This musical show is performed by the orchestra, band, show choir and theater for children in the Chantilly community.

In Tiny Tots, the music department is considered to be on an in-school field trip,” junior Sarah Kang said. “We come to school and spend our whole day in the orchestra room to perform and spend time with other members of the music department.”

The orchestra has been preparing for this show since their Halloween concert in October. With some classic Christmas songs in store, the orchestra has been busy practicing and memorizing their pieces since they are not allowed to use their sheet music during their performance.

This performance is especially important this year as it is our first Tiny Tots concert in almost two years due to the pandemic,” Kang said.

The members of the highest band level, the Symphonic Winds, have been given six pieces of music to play; these melodies will also be presented at another winter performance, Holiday Spectacular where the Performing Arts Department welcomes everyone from the community to come and watch on Dec. 9 and 10 at 7 p.m. 

Percussionists have been practicing on their own and during class but, during the week of Dec. 5, they will be joined by the rest of the departments—orchestra, band, theatre and choir—to rehearse the show together. 

“There are a variety of instruments I play based on which piece we are on,” senior Hailey Chung said. “For example, some of my parts this year include the slapstick in ‘Moana’ and the bells on ‘Twas the Night Before Christmas.’”  

Since the week of Nov. 7, theater students practice their roles and memorize their lines both during class and after school rehearsals for their upcoming performance. The theater department will be presenting portions of classic holiday shows such as “Twas the Night before Christmas,” “Elf on the Shelf” and “How the Grinch stole Christmas.” Another show they will be performing is Disney’s “Moana.” 

“ In [Tiny Tots], I play Santa in ‘Twas the night’,” senior Julien DaSilva said. “It brings people together for the holiday season and spreads joy. ” 

Students can purchase tickets and have the option of donating on Etix

“I believe the Tiny Tots performance is also particularly important because it’s our way of giving back to the community, especially to younger kids,” Chung said. “This may be their first time experiencing live music accompanying a performance, which is really amazing regardless of age.”