Girls soccer team kicks into new season

Jada McGlothin

The girls varsity soccer team (in white) played against South Lakes High School (in blue) on April 12, resulting in a loss, 1-0.

Caroline Donovan, Staff Writer

After being defeated in the playoffs last season, the girls soccer team plans on coming back and avenging themselves this season. 

The varsity girls soccer team has been working almost every day after school to prepare for their games. With last year’s season  only being around a month-long due to COVID-19 and some players getting injured, the girls work to build up what they lost and bring it back into this season. 

“I’m most excited to try to win districts this year because we lost in the finals last year 2-1 and it was disappointing.” sophomore forward Peyton Bibbee said. “Our slogan this year is the ‘revenge tour,’ so I can’t wait to start district play and see where it takes us.”

Coaches use tryouts to judge a player’s skill then decide whether they are compatible as a member of varsity, JV or neither, with some girls getting cut. Boys soccer and girls do not have freshman teams. During tryouts, players will be tested on skills such as dribbling, agility, stamina, scoring and passing. 

“I chose soccer because my whole family played, and most still play right now,” junior forward Kayla Yaeger said. “With the new season, I’m excited to just have fun and play with Kendall [Morgan] during her last season.”

The girls have been competing for the first few games of the season and, as of April 13, they have had zero wins, one tie and one loss. Last season the girls had their own ways of reflecting on their losses, yet celebrating their wins. This year, they’re continuing to do the same.

“Our team, after a win, gets really excited, and it’s a fun environment,” Bibbee said. “We will go out to eat or have a team event to celebrate the win.”

According to Sports Unfold, soccer is one of the world’s most popular girls sports. There are many different positions, including forward, center forward, outside back and midfielder. Players only normally play one position, with that position being either offensive or defensive.

Some of the girls play out of position in certain games depending on where they’re needed, and this will also be beneficial considering it could help the players achieve individual goals, learning about the different positions on the field. The coach will move players around to improve chances of winning.

“My goals for this season are to get better technically and to start at center back or wherever needed.” freshman center back Sydney Erikson said.

Varsity’s first scrimmage was on March 3 against WT Woodson High School. Their first away game on March 14 against Marshall High School resulted in a 3-3 tie. Their first loss on March 17 was against Thomas Edison High School 1-0.

“After we lose, we reflect on what we could’ve done better,” Yaeger said. “Then, we carry that into the next game.”

The teams next game is an away game on April 26, against Oakton High School. Varsity lost in the playoffs last year, so their team goal this year is to prepare for the playoffs throughout the regular season. The final game of the season is May 12.

“My favorite part of the soccer team is playing to compete,” Erikson said. “Also meeting new people and friends.”