Seniors prepare to move into dorms

Senior Edie Obernberger

Roommates Senior Harshini Bachu (left) and Senior Maeve Hutcheson (right) shop at their local Ross for dorm decorations on May 6.

Shreya Baskaran, Copy Editor

After the painstaking process of college applications, seniors are now committed to colleges meaning the next three months are filled with dorm shopping, moving boxes and searching for a roommate. Finding a roommate not only takes time but it also takes patience because this will be the person students live with for at least the next nine months.

“I found my roommate through Instagram,” senior Aasa Dommalapati said. “All I did was post on a Georgia Tech Class of 2026 page and got a lot of messages. One girl and I got along really well, and we Facetimed too, so we decided to room together.”

Moving away from home into dorms and with new people may be frightening for some seniors. However, it brings unique experiences and responsibility with a sense of change, and dorm preparation is just the beginning of the long moving process. According to CollegeChoice,  roommates can have a big impact on academic achievement, health and social attitudes, especially since a majority of the year is spent with them.

It scares me a lot but I think it’s a great way to start fresh. I never expected to commit to somewhere so far away but now I realize it was meant to be and I’m beyond excited to start this chapter of my life.

— senior Zoe Zarnegar

“I haven’t found my roommate yet but I have been talking to a bunch of girls. I use a University of Arizona(U of A) Facebook class of ‘26 group to get other students’ contacts and talk to them on Instagram or Snapchat,” senior Zoe Zarnegar said. 

Apart from social media interactions, there are different ways to explore and meet people from the same college. One way to meet other potential roommates is through designated college apps. The app Patio gives students the ability to talk to other freshmen from the same college in a safe space. It can be used for group chats about rooming situations, to make new friends and find people with mutual interests. Students can only join their college Patio group chats through proof of admissions or getting the link from a current group member. 

“I’m trying to find roommates from William and Mary on different Instagram accounts where I can meet people who have also committed,” senior Michelle Feng said. “I also got apps like Patio and GroupMe where kids can talk and find interests with each other. I am trying to go to a lot of William and Mary student events so I can talk to other freshmen in-person about rooming situations and get their contacts.”

Socializing with other rising freshmen is an effective way to begin this new part of life with people who share similar interests and ambitions. However, the Atlantic reports that schools would rather choose the students’ roommates, as it is a way to meet others with different perspectives and pushes freshmen out of their comfort zone.