Fun fall crafts spice up seasonal festivities

Mahika Sharma, Editor-in-Chief

While some may associate fall with gradually lowering temperatures or the return of pumpkin spice-flavored treats, the season also offers new opportunities to craft to one’s content. Here are three fall-themed projects that can liven up a cozy autumn day spent with friends or staying in.

Paper Leaf Wreath

Leaves cut from construction paper make for a colorful autumn wreath when arranged atop a cardboard base. (Mahika Sharma)

Fallen foliage is an autumn staple, and this craft seeks to capture its likeness in a decorative manner. Using a round object as a stencil, cut a donut shape out of a piece of cardboard, ensuring the border of the circle is at least two inches wide to serve as the base of the wreath. Cut leaves in various shapes, sizes and colors out of construction paper such that, when arranged on the base, no bare cardboard shows—then go ahead and glue the leaves on.

Optionally, loop a piece of string through the center of the wreath to hang on the front door or against a window. The wreath serves as a rustic display practically anywhere around the house for fall festivities.

“If you’re stuck making a certain type of craft, take inspiration from a seasonal element,” Art Club president senior Varna Selvakumar said. “You’re less likely to run into artist’s block when you’re relying on something that’s always changing.”

Versatile as they are, one may decorate pinecones to resemble turkeys, pumpkins and other hallmarks of the fall season for display. (Mahika Sharma)

Pinecone Centerpieces

Although pine trees do not shed their needles in the fall, they drop pine cones that double as craftable resources. After foraging a few from nearby trees, use acrylic paints to refashion the cones into seasonal symbols such as pumpkins and turkeys. Depending on the level of desired detail, add materials like pipe cleaners or googly eyes to the painted pinecones as a finishing touch.

“Nature is beautiful [and] unique,” Art Club junior Sabrina Davis said. “If you can find something that inspires you in nature, I would just try to use as much of that as you can and try to make something unique and beautiful of your own.”

One may present finished pinecones in a basket or tray as completed centerpieces on a table of choice, adding some flair to a harvest meal or other such celebration.

Mason Jar Lantern

Mason jars may function as fall-themed lanterns once covered with tissue paper in autumn colors and optional embellishments. (Mahika Sharma)

Shorter days in this last leg of the year translate to a greater need for light, and do-it-yourself lanterns are one solution. Take assorted scraps of tissue paper in customary fall colors—red, orange and yellow—and paste them all around the exterior of a Mason jar. Feel free to put stickers or paint additional designs on the jar once the paper has dried, ultimately leaving as little of the glass uncovered as possible. Then, light a candle or grab a flameless tea light and carefully place it inside the jar, taking care not to screw the lid back on going forward.

The lantern functions well both inside and outside, depending on whether the occasion at hand calls for brightening a dark corner of the house or giving the exterior a bit of a glow. Regardless, the festive element of the craft remains constant in the autumnal color scheme involved.

“I really like the changing of the colors,” Art Club sophomore Arienna Sudama said. “Typically, during the summer, I don’t use as many reds or oranges. In the fall, I focus on accentuating the colors of the autumn.”