A Deeper Meaning to No Shave November

Joey Durkin, Business Team Member

No Shave November is more than just an excuse for men to let their facial hair grow rampant. It is used for many causes and charities, such as cancer awareness. Men are encouraged to grow their facial hair during the month of November to embrace the fact that they can grow hair, unlike cancer patients undergoing chemotherapy, according to no-shave.org.

Men can pledge money to the American Cancer Society in exchange for a webpage where supporters can view the progress of their beard growth for charity. No Shave November has raised hundreds of thousands of dollars over the past five years for cancer prevention, education and research, and it has also provided aid for those fighting the battle.

Along with adult men who participated, many male students decided to partake in this annual event.

“I’m doing it because it’s annoying to shave,” sophomore Gustavo Sagastume said. “I also think it’s important to help raise [cancer] awareness in any way I can.”

Though original motives may not be the noblest, No Shave November participants are happy to go without shaving to increase cancer awareness.

“Originally, I was going to do it because my friend said she would give me twenty bucks if I did,” sophomore Jason Webb said. “But now I can also do it because it’s a great way to let hair grow freely for a good cause.”

Many teachers as well as students engaged in No Shave November.

“I stopped shaving for a Halloween costume,” social studies department chair John Downes said. “I decided to not shave throughout November and probably through the rest of December.”

Some women are very opinionated about No Shave November and people’s decision to support it.

“If a guy really wants to grow a beard to support the cause, they should do it,” sophomore Elizabeth Lee said.

Other women have varying opinions when it comes to facial hair.

“The only reason that men should grow beards is for charity,” English department chair Mary Kay Downes said. “Frankly, I think that beards are gross, that they harbor creatures, bacteria and who knows what. No woman wants to kiss a beard. I don’t care who it is.”

Opinions about facial hair are mixed. Some people love it, others hate it. But next time you see a man with a big, unkempt beard, keep in mind that its presence may be for a good cause, regardless of your opinions.