Principal leaves legacy of academic success, support

Katelyn Chu

Poole has served as CHS principal since 2017.

Katelyn Chu, Editor-in-Chief

“Hey, Dr. Poole,” a student yells out after lunch, greeting the school’s principal, who waves back. Dr. Scott Poole is often found talking to students outside the cafeteria, working in his office or watching student sporting events. 

Since August 2017, Dr. Poole has served as the principal at CHS, coming from Woodson HS, where he served as principal from 2015 to 2017. However, before Woodson, his career traversed a variety of schools and even fields. 

“Out of college, I worked as an economic analyst for a consulting firm,” Poole said.
“It was a really good job, but I really disliked it. [It wasn’t] fulfilling me, and that’s what really cemented my decision to become an educator.” 

Poole then went back to school to earn a master’s degree in education, even waiting tables on the side during those two years. He started his educational career at Cooper MS and then Langley HS, teaching social studies.

“During those ten years in the classroom, my principal at the time started encouraging me to become an administrator,” Poole said. “He said, ‘I think you could help teachers and people on a broader scale, so I went ahead and got my PhD in education, leadership and information systems.”

Since receiving his doctorate, Poole has served as the principal at Katherine Johnson MS, Woodson HS and now CHS. While at CHS, Poole has worked to foster relationships with students and community members, often found at CHS sporting events and activities.

“All of [the schools] have been unique in their own way and I’ve had some very fond and positive experiences at each of them, but there’s really nothing like working and serving as an education in the community where you live,” Poole said. “I’m a Chantilly citizen and I’m a Chantilly parent, and there’s a special kind of connection that I will always cherish, working with students and families, many of whom I’ve known for a long time since the kids were little.”

According to Niche, CHS is ranked as the fifth best public high school in Virginia. Poole has strived to celebrate the school’s success through the recognition of student achievement and hard work, creating a weekly student recognition program in which teachers, counselors, or coaches can commend students who’ve created a positive difference. Students receive awards at a short ceremony each Friday, and then are recognized in Charger Connect, a weekly email to parents and staff. 

“I think it’s nice to get recognition when students try really hard,” junior Eva Jaber said. “[Typically,] the only measure of success is a number in SIS, so it’s nice to have feedback from your teachers that’s verbal instead of numerical, and to get recognition like that means a lot.”

Poole oversaw the opening of the Innovation Lab in 2019, supported by the non-profit Asha Jyothi. The organization donated $106,600 to CHS to build the Innovation Lab, offering students opportunities to explore STEM learning with 3D printing machines, virtual reality and other technology.

“If you talk to Dr. Poole, he’s really passionate about the innovation lab and its ability to help students and to [help them] learn,” Innovation Lab manager Fred Muto said. 

After his last day on January 31, Poole intends to spend more time with his family and pursue a different career, possibly in consulting or education policy. In terms of the future of CHS, he wishes to see a continued record of high academic performance and hopes students and staff maintain a positive growth mindset.

“Circumstances change, people change, policies change,” Poole said. “And so we need to change with all those things. There’s always something you can work on, you could do better, or a student we could better serve. That’s the challenge that’s really made my career very interesting, challenging and rewarding.”