breaking news

Boy’s swim team dives into new season

Gregory Hessel
The boy’s team practices after school in order to get ready for their first meet against Madison on Dec.1.

Cheers erupt as the announcers relay the results: the boys swim team has won districts. Last year, at the district swim meet, the boys swim team placed first, beating teams such as Oakton, Westfield and Centreville. 

The new swimmers that are joining the team this year will play a major role in our team through bonding,” junior Aiden Wong said. “Many of our new swimmers this year will also be participating in districts, and they will be part of the reason we win this year.”

Freshman Lou Murphy is new to the team, and is excited to be on this year’s roster. The boy’s team has 48 members, 15 of them being freshmen.

“I feel excited knowing that the team I’m joining is the best it’s been in years,” Murphy said. “I also feel the competitive need to train harder so I will be able to keep up with where the team is going.” 

Senior swim captain Sky Lan says the leadership of the coaching staff and captains helps introduce the incoming freshman to the world of high school swimming. As a captain, he encourages returning members on the team to accommodate new members to the new environment.

“Apart from our wonderful coaching staff, the only other official role is captain,” Lan said. “Of course, as a swimmer on this team in general, I expect that everyone supports everyone else and cheers for their teammates during races.” 

The team practices everyday after school in order to prepare for their ultimate goal of remaining district champions. Wong considers the depth of speed to be a strength on the team.

“Not only do we have the top tier swimmers of our districts, but we also have swimmers that can score the bottom points as well,” Wong said. “Our coach always says it’s not only the first, second or third place finishers who win meets, it’s the swimmers in fourth, fifth and sixth.” 

The team’s first meet was on Dec. 1 against Madison, and they won 231-82. Their next meet is against Westfield on Dec. 9.

“I am very excited and expectant of great things,” Lan said. “I already know we have an extraordinary team and am awaiting what great times they can put up during our upcoming season.”