breaking news

Review: bubbling boba places brew flavorful combinations

A delicious concoction of tea, milk, fruit juices and a hefty amount of tapioca pearls refreshes the palate after an exhausting day. Originating in Taiwan in the early 1980s, the bubble tea market, also known as boba tea or pearl milk tea, is expected to double by 2032, according to Reports and Data. Locally, there are many bubble tea places with diverse menus worth trying for avid fans of this sweetened drink, or for those simply looking to try something new.

Gong Cha

While the Pearl Black Milk Tea and the Dirty Brown Sugar Milk Tea are overloaded with sweetness, they still have distinct tastes that appeal to different individuals. The Dirty Brown Sugar Milk Tea is my favorite because of the caramelized flavor.
(Hansika Gautama)

As one of my go-to bubble tea places, Gong Cha’s spacious interior and floral photo wall provides a fun space to hangout with family and friends. Gong Cha’s menu contains a variety of fruit and milk teas along with a plethora of toppings including tapioca pearls and jellies that add unique textures to the drinks.

A creative addition to the interior is Gong Cha’s top ten popular drinks board, which offers customers a chance to taste the best-selling drinks, especially for those who are overwhelmed by the variety of choices on the menu. I tried the classic Pearl Black Milk Tea in medium ($7.14) where I thought the black tea would have an overpowering and bitter aftertaste. However, the aftertaste was mild since the velvety sweetness of the tea masked its flavor. The simplicity of the tea base allowed the chewy tapioca pearls to stand out, so it’s understandable that this classic flavor is a favorite among customers.

My usual order is the Dirty Brown Sugar Milk Tea in medium ($7.14), which has a caramelized, nutty flavor. The generous amount of brown sugar syrup around the inside of the cup only adds to the sweet and creamy nature of the drink. Not only does this drink please the taste buds, it is great to pose with for aesthetic pictures.

Kokee Tea

At Kokee Tea, the signature Mango Passionfruit Tea has a hint of sourness which creates the perfect blend of the two flavors. (Hansika Gautama)

If you’re in the midst of shopping at Fair Oaks Mall, the bustling tea stand located inside is a great place to stop by for a grab-and-go drink. However, due to the shop’s small size, the menu is limited and lacks the diverse customization that Gong Cha provides.

I tried the Mango Passion Fruit Tea ($6.62) which is only available in one size and is comparable to a medium at Gong Cha. The tea’s sweetness wasn’t overwhelming, but it left an unpleasant aftertaste. The mango and passionfruit flavors worked well together and had a kick of tanginess which combated the sweetness. Overall, the blend of flavors and the soft, chewy tapioca pearls made the drink enjoyable, although it did not top Gong Cha. 

Tea Do

Unlike Gong Cha or Kokee Tea, Tea Do offers small, medium and large sizes. Tea Do is one of my favorite bubble tea places because there are smaller sizes that are cheaper as well. (Hansika Gautama)

Tea Do, located on Fairfax Boulevard, is by far my favorite in terms of aesthetics and variety while Gong Cha is a close second. The interior has plenty of seating and the menu is neatly organized, displaying the different toppings, sizes and hot or cold options. The dim lighting and wooden accent wall fosters a cozy environment to spend time with family and friends.

I tried the Fresh Fruit Tea in small ($6.81) with tapioca pearls, which was a part of the “hottest drinks” section on the menu, and was a blend of mango, strawberry, peach and pineapple. The pieces of fruit in the drink infused the tea base and along with the pearls, added texture to the drink. While the drink from Kokee Tea had a slight aftertaste, this was absent in the Fresh Fruit Tea.

As a fruit tea fanatic, this drink provided the ultimate burst of fruity flavor. The tinge of sourness in the fruits balanced out the sweetness of the tea base, which created a complex, layered flavor. 

Both Gong Cha and Tea Do were similar in terms of freshness and diversity in the menu, while Kokee Tea lacked a little. However, all three locations are definitely worth the visit with welcoming environments and signature drinks exclusive to each of them.