breaking news

Spring break day trips leap into the calendar

The phrase “in like a lion, out like a lamb” is often used to describe March. This year, spring break is from March 25 to 29. Virginia has many places that make for day trips, such as Kings Dominion, Luray Caverns and Shenandoah National Park.

Kings Dominion 

First opened on May 3, 1975, Kings Dominion is in Doswell, near Richmond. Kings Dominion has many roller coasters and rides such as The Anaconda, The Dominator and The Intimidator. It also features other rides such as the Flying Ace Balloon Race, The Carousel and Charlie Brown’s Windup.

Kings Dominion has 61 attractions spread throughout the park, and it also has 32 dining options that serve three types of items: meals, snacks, and drinks. A daily ticket is only $40 per person.

“My favorite ride at Kings Dominion is The Intimidator because it’s very long, fun and scary,” freshman Sam Blaeuer said. “My least favorite ride is the Windseeker because it’s very slow and unenjoyable.” 

During spring break, Kings Dominion is open on March 29, 30 and 31, from 11 a.m to 8 p.m.

“Whenever possible, I chose to spend the whole day in the park,” Blaeuer said.

One of the many attractions at Kings Dominion is the Eiffel Tower, which is located in the center of the park. Photo used with permission of Arjun Balaji.

Luray Caverns

Located in the northwestern part of Virginia, Luray Caverns is a series of limestone caves that  were first discovered in 1878, and were formed millions of years ago by underground rivers and seepage of acid-bearing water through layers of limestone and clay, per Britannica. Luray Caverns is open 365 days a year, from 9 a.m to 4 p.m. Children ages 6 and under get in for free, tickets for ages 6-12 are $17, tickets for ages 13-62 are $34, and tickets ages 62 and above are $32. 

“I loved exploring all the different caves and sites they had, and the tour guides were really interesting,” freshman Aditya Chokkavarapu said.

Attractions such as The Great Stalacpipe Organ and the Wishing Well are also included in Luray Caverns.

“It was a really fun experience because I went with friends and family, and I had a lot of fun exploring the caverns,” Chokkavarapu said.

The Wishing Well is an attraction in which people drop coins into the ponds and make a wish.   Photo by Mark Hessel

Shenandoah National Park

Located in the Blue Ridge Appalachian Mountains in Northern Virginia, Shenandoah National Park is 311 square miles of land that was first authorized in 1926 and opened to the public in 1935. Wildlife within the park includes deer, foxes, squirrels and other mammals, and it also includes many bird species.

In addition to its wildlife, the park also features the Skyline Drive, which runs 105 miles north and south throughout the entirety of the park along the crest of the Blue Ridge Mountains. There are four entrance stations, and it is the only public road through the park. 

The park is open 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, but the Skyline Drive may be closed because of weather conditions. An entrance pass for a private vehicle is $30, and the price for an entrance pass for one person is $15. The park has over 500 miles of trail to choose from, roam, and explore.

“The colors at Shenandoah National Park are very bright and beautiful,” freshman Sami Paul said. “Shenandoah is very unique compared to other national parks because of its waterfalls and wildlife. There’s lots to explore and much to enjoy.”

Shenandoah’s high location allows for visitors to view the Blue Ridge Mountains and the surrounding towns below. Photo used with permission of Gregory Hessel