breaking news
  • Congrats for making to the end of the school year, Chargers!

Mother’s Day prompts greater appreciation

Construction paper, glue sticks, fresh bouquets of roses and a tasty breakfast all commemorate a day dedicated to mothers. Mother’s Day is a day designed for people to express love and gratitude for the important women in their life, whether their biological mother or a woman who has helped one get through the years. Many students reflect on the contributions that stepmothers, grandmothers or mothers have made in their lives.

“On Mother’s Day, I like to make my mom heartfelt cards because it always makes her really happy and to see her save them makes me feel really special,” junior Jenna Abi Joumah said.

According to the National Retail Foundation, Mother’s Day is the second most popular holiday for gift giving with over $35.7 billion spent annually. In addition, more calls are made on Mother’s Day than any other day of the year. Based on research by the National Retail Federation, the most popular gifts for moms in 2023 were expected to be greeting cards, flowers, and special outings. The most common choice was a greeting card, with over 74% of people surveyed purchasing that gift.

“My favorite thing I gave my mom on Mother’s Day is a spa day since she got a facial and a massage,” sophomore Cami Zeberlein said. “I’m glad she got to have the day to herself.” 

Although Mother’s Day started in 1914 in the U.S. with Woodrow Wilson signing the bill that designated the second Sunday of May as Mother’s Day, the holiday has expanded all across the globe. Over 40 countries now celebrate Mother’s Day, but each of them have their own unique customs and traditions. All countries celebrate on different days and in different ways. 

“The best thing to do is on mothers day is spoil my mom with all the love I have for her, making her favorite breakfast in bed, giving her flowers and making her the perfect card.” Zeberlein said.

According to Scholastic, France celebrates mothers with “Medals for mom,” in which the government in France awards mothers of large families medals in gratitude for helping rebuild the population after so many lives were lost during World War I. In Ethiopia, they have a sing along festival where family members from all over flock to their homes for a large meal while celebrating. Lastly in India, they have a 10-day festival honoring the Hindu goddess of mothers, Durga. “Every year on Mother’s Day, we go to my mom’s favorite restaurant and when we go back home, we like to just spend time with her and make her feel loved,” junior Caroline Donovan said.