breaking news
  • Congrats for making to the end of the school year, Chargers!

Student spotlight: Hundley jumps into track and field

Christian Hundley on his high jump was at Liberty University on January 14, 2024. He cleared 6’4 and placed second in this event. Photo used with permission by Josh Jocuns

Senior Christian Hundley played soccer for a long time, but in the winter of 2022 he tried out for track and field to stay in shape for soccer. He realized, however, that he performs much stronger in track and field, so he stuck with the sport and instead dropped soccer.

Hundley competes in pole jump and hurdles. He worked on getting good at the sport from the moment he realized track and field might be his focus for the next three years. His teammate senior and varsity track and field athlete Abby Nave watched him do it.

“Watching him break the school record and seeing all his hard work pay off was a great feeling because he should be proud of all that he has overcome and achieved and improved,” Nave said.

Hundley is captain for his senior season. He likes this role because it allows him to lead and help coach his teammates. Hundley says he has a positive mindset while helping others because he feels good seeing the people he helped improve.

“I like being captain because it allows me to lead and help coach other athletes more efficiently,” Hundley said. “Seeing athletes improve after I help them makes the sport more rewarding.”

Hundley didn’t just move on from soccer to be just ‘okay’ at track and field, though. He went on and won many awards from districts to regions and even states. In the past four years. Hundley broke 12 records.

“He shows great leadership and is just all around a great teammate, he is basically a player coach. He coached me to my personal record in high jump,” varsity track and field junior Neha Baskar said.

He broke a school record, he won All-met from WTOP, he’s been All States twice, a region champ, an all-region and all district multiple times in the past four years, he earned a best newcomer, MVP of his team, coaches choice award from the team, and lastly, he placed 16th at the national competition at the Nike Track & Field Center at the Armory in New York on March 8.

“My favorite track and field memory is breaking the school record and then continuing on to beat it by another inch while competing in front of all my coaches and many others at Virginia Beach” Hundley said.

Christian Hundley high jump was at Liberty University on January 14, 2024. He cleared 6’4 and placed second in the event. Photo used with permission of Josh Jocuns