Students voice their opinions on their jobs

Getting a job while in high school isn’t always an easy process, but it is one that is both beneficial and engaging. Several students look for a way to earn money during their high school years.

Senior Chloe Pantophlet works at Bagel Buddies and at Taekwondo Dojo.

“I thought working at Bagel Buddies would be a good start because you only have to be 15, and a lot of my friends recommended it to me,” Pantophlet said.

While age is a large factor that determines where students can work, the work environment is also a factor in the decision.

“The Taekwondo Dojo is located in Herndon, and I have to be there at 3:30, so it’s very inconvenient with the new school times,” Pantophlet said. “The instructor there is strict, while the boss of Bagel Buddies is really easy-going as long as you tell her when you’re available. I needed another job besides Bagel Buddies, so I still go to the Taekwondo Dojo to take care of and tutor kids.”

Some students have mixed feelings about seeing their friends at work.

“It’s always really exciting to see friends from school because they’re supportive and know I’m doing something I like, but they can be a distraction sometimes,” Pantophlet said.

Senior Juan Patino is another student who has a job after school. In the past, Patino has enjoyed shopping at American Eagle, so he eventually decided to work there.

“I get most of my clothes from American Eagle already, so I wanted to work for them and be able to get a discount,” Patino said.

A few students even get to work with some of their closest friends. For some, this is an incentive that makes them look forward to going to work. For example, Patino works with seniors Alex Choe and Gene Kim.

“I really enjoy seeing people from school,” Patino said. “My job is really laid-back, so I can take a minute or two to talk to friends.”

Patino and his friends fold clothes and provide customer service.

“I’m a jeans expert so I know everything there is about jeans,” Patino said. “I am a cashier as well.”

Junior Meagan Ibarra works at Cox Farms.  She grew up going to the venue and became instantly passionate about dedicating her time there.

“I knew this would be a good first job, and my friend told me about it so I decided to check it out,” Ibarra said.

“Since the festival closes at 6 p.m., I don’t work on school days, just the weekends,” Ibarra said.

Cox Farms has a variety of festivities for children and their families, such as games, animal exhibits and plenty of food and drink stands. “I love working the rope swing, but my favorite thing to do is act in the hayride,” Ibarra said.

The hayride is 20-minutes long and is pulled by an antique tractor. On this wagon, people get an opportunity to explore the farm and see workers acting for their entertainment.

Last year I got to play a witch, cowgirl and the infamous aliens,” Ibarra said. “I occasionally see entire classes of students from schools who come on field trips, so that’s very exciting.”

Whether students work part-time or full-time, those with jobs in high school take pleasure in the experience.