Chargers enjoy fall season during pandemic

photo contributed by Linda Gu

Freshman Linda Gu dresses up as a ghost with a friend on Sept. 27.

Chloe McGeehan, Staff Writer

With the arrival of cool weather and color-changing leaves, people look for fun activities to do while still staying safe and social distancing from others. Although most traditional festivals and events have been canceled, people have found ways to get creative and find innovative ways to enjoy the fall season.

Cox Farms, one of the most popular fall venues in the D.C. area, has canceled events, causing people to miss the fun activities they offer every autumn.

“My favorite fall activity to do with my friends is Fields of Fear,” freshman Linda Gu said. “There are so many things to do like hayrides, mazes and lots of great food to try.”

Fields of Fear is an annual event held every year at Cox Farms. After dark, the farm turns scary and offers haunted hayrides, spooky cornfield walkthroughs and frightening forest tours. Since these events aren’t happening, people are brainstorming their own fun, COVID-friendly activities to do with friends or family. According to an article on the Health website, some examples of safe activities to do are picnics, pumpkin patches, tailgating and more.

“My friends and I want to have fall…themed picnics outside,” sophomore Enya Tiea said. 

Since the 2020 fall season won’t be full of haunted houses and other normal events, there are safe ways to relish the autumn spirit. DePaul’s Urban Farm in Vienna has a pumpkin patch that’s open from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. daily.

“My friends and I plan on going to a pumpkin patch to have a fall photoshoot with the falling leaves,” Gu said. “We’re [also] going to buy some pumpkins and use them to make homemade pumpkin pie.”

Virginia summers can get to hot highs and winters can get to cold lows. People think that makes autumn a good season to go hiking in one of the many trails available here. Sky Meadows State Park in Delaplane is a 1,860-acre park that offers fishing, boating, trails, horses, overnight camping and more.

“You get to stay warm inside, go on walks and watch the leaves change colors,” Tiea said.