Winter season brings more diverse wardrobe

Shreya Baskaran, Staff Writer

Stores are blasting Christmas music, families are decorating their homes for the holidays and everyone is packing up their summer clothes and getting out their winter wardrobe. Whether it’s a soft sweater or a cute beanie, many say winter fashion has a wider variety of styles to choose from compared to summer fashion. 

“My style definitely changes according to the weather, but I love the number of options I have when it’s cold outside,” sophomore Sai Banala said.

There are numerous pants that are fitting for the weather, including cargo pants, shearling-lined leggings, thick baggy sweats and more. The tops to help stay toasty amidst the chilly weather are countless as well, with some options being turtleneck sweaters, oversized flannels, hoodies and half-zip sweaters. 

“Some of my favorite winter pieces are mock-neck sweaters because they match almost any style of pants,” junior Sheona Jerin said.

Additionally, though dresses are most commonly worn during the spring and summer, the flowy, comfortable garments also come in styles that suit winter weather just as nicely. Long-sleeved and sweater dresses are a couple of designs that can be worn in the chilly weather. 

Thick material is a necessity to combat the cold, so flannel, faux fur, fleece and cashmere can be found in many pieces. There are also many different kinds of shoes that fit winter styles, such as UGGs, knee-high boots and leather boots.

According to TheTrendSpotter, oversized blazers, headscarves, long patterned coats and knee-high boots are some of the top garments this year. However, these pieces are worn primarily in the winter, rather than the summer, because of the warmth they can provide. The Sugar Styles says that denim is one of the most popular materials. However, denim clothing like jackets and jeans are found to be worn mostly in the cold weather, since they are a thicker material. 

“Unlike summer clothes, fall and winter pieces allow me to layer and express myself more,” Bartolutti said.