Students celebrate Black History Month

David Fenton via Getty Images

February is Black History month and many people celebrate the important achievements that Black people have made throughout history.

Natasha Guharoy, Staff Writer

February is a month dedicated to spotlighting Black people’s achievements and contributions to society. Appreciation can be shown in many ways, whether it is taking the time to learn Black history or talking to those who are part of the Black community.  

“Even though I am not Black, it is obvious to see how there is so much racism and ignorance against people of color, and much of it is normalized,” sophomore Tanvi Danda said. “Black History Month is super important to raising awareness of what we need to do better so that we become a community that truly values everyone’s lives.”

Some historical figures that are not commonly known include the first female African American author Phillis Wheatley, who had a book published at only 12 years old, John Brown who led a slave revolt in 1859, Alexander Miles who invented the automatic elevator doors in 1887, and Garrett Morgan who invented the traffic light in 1923.

“There are so many accomplishments and ideas by Black people that we don’t even know about,” sophomore Veronica Talford said. “I think a great place to start is simply searching for fun facts about Black people that you don’t know about.”

Schools are making an effort to include more Black history in their curriculum. For example, Chantilly will add a new course called African American History next year that focuses specifically on Black history.

The US history focuses on a few topics in Black history, which are slavery, segregation to integration in society, and issues that racism that arised during this progression. For those who want to educate themselves further, the internet is a resource to do so. Some resources to explore that cover Black history include: History.com, ExploreTheArchive.com and AfricanAmericanHistoryMonth.gov

“This month truly has a lot of potential in its existence as it stands to help Black people get recognition, when in reality, this is a movement that should be focused on 365 days of the year,” Danda said.

Chantilly’s Black Student Association held a panel of HBCUs (Historically Black Colleges and Universities) alumni on Feb. 8, to educate students on the benefits of attending an HBCU, as well as the general college application process. 

“This month is something that we all should celebrate,” Talford said. “So many Black people have put so much of themselves into their talents, but now we can give credit to them and educate others about them.”