Spring track races into new season

Junior+Ava+Miller+runs+in+a+district+meet+against+Westfield+and+Madison+in+the+previous+winter+track+season.+

used with permission of Ava Miller

Junior Ava Miller runs in a district meet against Westfield and Madison in the previous winter track season.

Catherine Xu, Editor-in-Chief

Track runners have begun preparing for the start of the spring season on April 26 with new goals, new people and new races for some, too. Junior Kaitlyn Purvis, who ran the individual 300m and 500m and the4x200m and 4x400m relays, plans to run the 200m, 400m and 800m races in spring track this year.

For the relays, I like being part of a team and striving to work with my teammates to do our best,” Purvis said. “My favorite part about racing is to come around the corner and push myself to finish the last 100m strong with the goal of always improving my time.

To train for the season and tryouts, track athletes condition three times a week. However, several track athletes have other athletic activities that keep them busy and fulfill the need for normal pre-season conditioning. Many other runners like Purvis also participate in cross country, which allows them to improve their endurance by running during the off-season.

I am always excited to improve my times and to achieve success at a high level,” Purvis said. “I have also been doing strength training.”

As individual runners train for their favorite events, the team keeps their personal and group goals in mind for the upcoming competitions. With several athletes winning state and regional  titles last season, the team is eager to reach more ambitious wins.

My favorite parts about my events are the fact they are pretty short and don’t take a lot of stamina,” senior Tro Davenport said. “My goal for spring track is to get a national [trophy]. Our team goal is to win regionals and do well in states.”

After last season’s shorter length and lack of competitions due to COVID-19, the team is eager to finally participate in meets again. The team is wasting no time this season as they are diving into a schedule full of away games and invitationals. With their eyes set on championships in May and June, athletes are looking forward to more practice and training this season.

“I’m excited to race outside in the nice weather because for winter track we were outside and it was freezing,” junior Ava Miller said. “My individual goal is to make it to states on a relay or in an individual event.”

The team has become a home to its track athletes, and despite COVID-19 restrictions with masks, social distancing and less meetups this year, they are excited to practice together for June competitions.

“I started track for the first time as a freshman, and I thought I was a sprinter, but thanks to my coaches, who introduced me to middle distance running, I gained the confidence to run longer races,” Purvis said. “I am grateful for the support and cheers of my teammates and for the athletic trainers who help me recover quickly and get back to running.”