All Out, All Game, All Season

JV+team+sophomore+Porcha+Limsumang+passes+the+ball+to+a+team+member+in+the+game+against+the+Centreville+Wildcats+on+Oct.+13%2C+Chantilly+High+School+won+2-1.+

Photo taken by David McLean.

JV team sophomore Porcha Limsumang passes the ball to a team member in the game against the Centreville Wildcats on Oct. 13, Chantilly High School won 2-1.

Claire Baek, Staff Writer

The varsity volleyball team won the district title that will last in CHS volleyball history. The freshman, JV and varsity volleyball teams had been busy training long before the start of the new season. 

Freshmen try out for either a spot on the freshman or JV team before the start of school.It is typical for freshmen to join the freshman team, but some get put into JV due to their experiences and skills. A lot of freshmen put their goal as JV when trying out for the team. In addition, returning members either in JV or varsity sometimes are assigned new positions and need to learn how to adjust to the new position. 

“My goal in the beginning of the season was getting on to JV and I did; I really wasn’t expecting it,” JV volleyball freshman Nathalia Sagastume said.

It is unusual to have freshmen on the varsity team; they usually get placed into the freshman or JV team. One of the varsity team members suffered an injury and there was an empty spot on the team. The coaches promoted Sarah Kim from JV to varsity because of her skills.  

“I was also surprised at first, but I was really excited to play with the varsity team because I knew it would be a challenge that I could accomplish,” varsity team freshman Sarah Kim said. 

“This season, I’ve learned a lot about working together, communicating more and not letting yourself get down on yourself over mistakes. I learned this with the help of my new amazing teammates. I was worried because I was the only freshman on the varsity team, but they were so welcoming.”

The goals were clear and straight this year: to train hard and win games . In order to achieve this goal, the volleyball varsity team started practicing before the beginning of the school year, so team members had opportunities to get closer to one another. 

“Our team worked really hard this season, we have practices every weekday after school and I definitely think our hard work paid off,” Sagastume said. 

The varsity team started this season off with a win against McLean High School on Aug. 22 and later ended up winning nine of 16 games. In addition, the varsity team won Districts on Oct. 25 and will be playing at regionals. On the other hand, the JV team finished off their season with a win against Oakton High School on Oct.20.

“I am usually pretty nervous before games, but as I play and the crowd cheers, my nerves settle down,” Limsumang said. “After wins, it’s usually really fun, the tensions in the crowd become really high as people clap and cheer for the winning team.”