breaking news
  • Good luck to all Chargers taking final and AP exams!

CHS should be more transparent about Lightspeed monitoring software

Infographic by Gaby Gutierrez

Lightspeed Classroom Management—a new digital tool adopted by FCPS in November–has significantly expanded the ability of teachers to track student computer usage. However, many students remain unaware of the monitoring software and its extensive capabilities. 

The software tool, which is installed on students’ school-issued laptops, allows teachers to view students’ computer screens and browsing history, block students from accessing certain websites and send students private messages. The technology even allows teachers to click on a student’s name and record activity on the student’s laptop for 10 minutes.

While some teachers have told their classes about the program, many students never received any official notice or warning when the software was first implemented advising them that their computer activity may be monitored and possibly recorded at school. 

In adopting Lightspeed’s internet filtering tool, FCPS pointed out its need to comply with the Children’s Internet Protection Act, a federal law that requires schools to use measures that block internet access to material that is obscene, pornographic or harmful to minors. Although the original purpose of FCPS may have been to block access to these designated types of materials, monitoring students using Lightspeed technology has expanded far beyond internet filters. 

Lightspeed Systems, the company that produces Lightspeed Classroom Management, Lightspeed Filter and other software monitoring tools, advertises Lightspeed Classroom Management as a way that “teachers can keep their students logged in, participating and focused on curriculum.” Parents are encouraged by FCPS to monitor students as well and can sign up to receive a weekly Parent Report in which Lightspeed documents the top internet sites the student visited during the week. 

Students can expect that their internet searches may be monitored when using FCPS-issued Chromebooks and the school Wi-Fi; however, students and their families should have been more clearly informed when teachers began using Lightspeed Classroom Management, and the extent of monitoring students are subject to at school. 

Despite Lightspeed Classroom Management having been available for use by teachers since last November, initial notice of the new tool was not given to families until March 8. Moreover, that notice was part of a Charger Connect email that dealt with multiple issues from vaping to FAFSA, and so it may have gone unnoticed by many recipients. In addition, the description of the software did not detail all of the capabilities of the new system, including the ability of teachers to record student activity. 

While the April 3 Knightly News segment on Lightspeed is helpful in increasing student awareness, CHS should have been more transparent at the outset when it chose to implement this new software, either through issuing a formal announcement to all students or providing a pop-up warning on Chromebooks. Although the school has a responsibility to maintain a safe learning environment, it is reasonable for schools to keep students informed when introducing technology that significantly expands the ability of teachers to monitor, track and record student activity.