Students make resolutions to start the new year

Mahika Sharma

Infographic by Mahika Sharma. Source: Vi-An Nguyen of Parade Magazine.

Mahika Sharma, Staff Writer

With 2020 coming to an end, students are preparing to unwind and make merry this holiday season. Many are even brainstorming ways that they can improve themselves for the upcoming year through their New Year’s resolutions.

While the concept of resolutions has been around for thousands of years, it has only become known as a means of self-improvement in modern times. According to Trafalgar Travel, 40% of people in the U.S. create New Year’s resolutions, but only 8% go on to actually achieve them. Over the years, people have cited various reasons for breaking their resolutions.

“I don’t have any New Year’s resolutions this year. I normally don’t [make] them,” sophomore Tara Tran said. “In the past, I’ve never kept my resolutions, because I usually forget or get too lazy.”

Others, however, are doing their best to honor their resolutions this year. Junior Sheona Jerin has already made a goal to enhance her productivity, which is the ninth most common type of New Year’s resolution made according to Vi-An Nguyen of Parade.

“I did make a resolution to try and manage my time a little better because I was constantly getting distracted when I sat down to do my homework or work on something else,” Jerin said.

Jerin also expressed the importance of setting resolutions, since putting in the time to do so can be an achievement in and of itself.

“Making resolutions in the first place [shows] that we are trying to change, and the first part of improvement is acceptance,” junior Sheona Jerin said. “You put in the effort and that’s all that matters.”

Some hope to spend more time with their loved ones and lose weight, while others look to better manage their finances and exercise more. Either way, the aim for many with resolutions is to make next year as much of a positive experience as possible.

Making resolutions in the first place [shows] that we are trying to change, and the first part of improvement is acceptance. You put in the effort and that’s all that matters.

— junior Sheona Jerin

“I think keeping New Year’s resolutions will make 2021 a better year,” sophomore Sashreek Chirimar said. “A resolution will benefit someone in the society, whether it’s yourself or the community.” 

Although not everyone may feel as enthusiastic for the upcoming year, many can agree that making one resolution can go a long way. With cases of the coronavirus pandemic still on the rise, some are not as enthusiastic for the year to come.

However, experts, including those at Identity Magazine, agree that even one resolution can go a long way, and they are encouraging others to practice positivity to bring some light to 2021. 

“I’m expecting the worst for 2021, [but] it’s good to have hope because we don’t know what will happen,” Tran said. “Making a goal for yourself can be something to look forward to or focus on to stay positive.”