Basketball enters new season after winning championship

Senior+Natalie+Hogan+practices+her+layups+during+the+team%E2%80%99s+last+offseason+practice+on+Oct.+28+before+tryouts.+

Kusum Rao

Senior Natalie Hogan practices her layups during the team’s last offseason practice on Oct. 28 before tryouts.

Kusum Rao, Staff Writer

After winning two regional championships and four district championships respectively, boys and girls varsity basketball teams prepare for the upcoming winter season. Despite the pandemic’s restrictions on sports for the 2020-2021 school year, both basketball teams were able to reel in two different championship titles, a regional title for boys and a district title for girls. 

“I am most looking forward to preparing for a full season and establishing the foundation of the program,” varsity boys basketball head coach Rodney Carmichael said. 

Without a regular offseason, coaches were unsure how to prepare athletes for a successful season. However, many underclassmen have shown up to skill sessions which have left a promising feeling amongst the coaches. 

“I am extremely excited for the talent and ability I have witnessed in the freshman and sophomore classes,” Carmichael said.  

Last season, boys varsity played against Yorktown High School in regionals on Jan 23., and after a previous stretch of losses, the team was able to win in the last minutes of the game. 

“Playing in the regional game against a very good Yorktown team and having a chance to win it in the last two minutes was an awesome feeling,” Carmichael said. “I had nine seniors last year that competed daily in practice and never [gave up] no matter what we threw at them; it showed the spirit and character of what [the team] can be.”   

Because of the pandemic, girls basketball was unable to prepare during the offseason. However, they won their first district championship in 18 years against James Madison High School on Jan. 21. 

“Last season was very, very good. Considering we lost our entire offseason due to COVID-19, I wasn’t sure how ready we would be,” varsity girls basketball head coach Josh Regan said. “Our girls were locked in and focused from day one and  

Compared to last season’s 12-game schedule, players now get to participate in a full 21-game schedule. Tryouts lasted three days, starting on Nov. 8, for both teams. 

“My goal is to always win a state championship,” Regan said. “Specific to this upcoming season, I think a top-2 finish in the district and a run into regionals is our minimum goal.” 

Contrary to last sport season’s COVID-19 regulations, the coaches and athletes seem to have a stronger control over mitigation strategies for this season, in the off chance of a player falling sick . Due to vaccine requirements, players are now not required to wear a mask when on the court, but do require one on the sidelines. 

“For the players, wearing a mask while playing was the most difficult thing to deal with,” Regan said. “I think the team understands the precautions that need to be taken this year, so dealing with COVID-19 is more of a normal thing now. Barring a pause from someone testing positive, I don’t think the impact will be as much.” 

Even though the regulations restricted a full season for these players, the coaches have kept a positive outlook on the expected performance of this upcoming basketball season, especially against rival schools like Oakton, James Madison and Westfield High School. 

“Our girls have been working extremely hard since May, so I’m looking forward to seeing how they’ve developed since last season ended,” Regan said. 

Boys varsity plays against Washington-Liberty High School at home on Nov. 30 at 7:30 p.m, and girls varsity plays Wakefield High School at home on Dec. 3 at 7:00 p.m. 

“We work hard and play hard, but we also manage to have fun while we do it,” Regan said. “The players at Chantilly are wonderful to coach and leave high school with really good memories of their time in purple and white, and at the end of the day, that’s what really matters.”