Veterans’ Night Out

Brynn Feighery, Assistant Opinions Editor

For the past six years, the National Honor Society (NHS) has hosted a dinner to honor the veterans that have served our country. This year the event was held on Nov. 12. History teacher Charles Demek and NHS student leaders begin planning this event at the end of each school year, and several elements are involved in the planning process.

Senior and NHS president, Molly Dineen, has worked closely with Demek and fellow NHS officers to ensure the success of this event. First they established a theme. This year, the theme is “Through the Ages,” so the decorations used represented the changes that have occurred throughout America’s history. Once the theme is determined, they contact several departments within the school as well as businesses outside the school in order to start preparing for the dinner.

“Once we get back to school, we really hit the ground running,” Demek said. “We contact local businesses as well as several departments within our school.”

NHS contacts Wegman’s to use their flowers as centerpieces on the tables. Additionally, this year a company called Dog Tags Inc. made gifts for the veterans who attended. The student leaders also reach out to the Teaching Materials Preparation Center, which provides the programs and many other decorations for the event.

“Most of the companies that we contacted were more than willing to give us a discounted price because the dinner is in honor of our veterans,” Dineen said.

Students involved in a variety of extracurriculars help in the planning and running of this event. Performing arts department members create a show that goes with the theme of the event. Also, culinary arts students under Chef Doubleday help prepare the meals served to the veterans and their families. Lastly, more than 40 student volunteers help with set up, serve meals, escort veterans to the auditorium for the performances and clean up once the event is over.

“I’m a nothing. I am barely involved in the making and running of the event,” Demek said. “I walk around shaking hands during the dinner. This event is completely student run; the veterans absolutely love it.”