breaking news
  • Good luck to all Chargers taking final and AP exams!

Cafeteria promoting their new snack program

Huda Noorzai
Food service worker Wei Jiang gives Sarah Ali water.

From savory chips to sweet cookies, the cafeteria features a variety of snacks for students to purchase. CHS is now offering a snack program. Each day during the passing period between first and second block, the cafeteria is open and students can purchase breakfast items, snacks, and water. 

“We try to balance the healthiest snacks we can get with what the kids request the most,” food services kitchen manager Jody James said. “Sometimes we can’t always get some of the most requested snacks so we have to place a bid with our vendor to tell them how many cases we need.” 

In addition to guidelines in snack selection, FCPS regulates what foods can be sold and promoted to students. For example, meal menus should promote fresh fruits, fresh vegetables and whole grains; in addition to the type and number of choices available.  

Keeping health in mind, the cafeteria is providing snacks that are healthy and nutritious for students.  In Salty snacks the cafeteria is providing Cheez-its, hummus with tortilla chips, and string cheese.  For options on the sweeter side, they have yogurts in a variety of flavors, craisins, apple muffins and an assortment of fruits,all of which are sold for $1.

“I love the Cheez-its, I get all the time with my meals,” freshman Michelle Ossa said. “The Cheez-its are definitely my favorite snack from the cafeteria.” 

Huda Noorzai

The cafeteria is also selling breakfast items alongside snacks. Yogurt parfaits, vanilla yogurt with fruit and granola are new items available to purchase. Some other items available are pancakes with syrup, banana bread and an assortment of cereal flavors. Alongside breakfast items there are also a variety of beverages like milk, orange and apple juice, Like the snacks they are also priced at $1. The cafeteria will add or subtract from their offerings based on what is selling, or requested by students. 

“I found out about the program through my friend” sophomore Isabella Frazier said “I usually don’t eat breakfast in the mornings and I come to school late so I get really hungry. This program helps me alot throughout the day”.