Healthcare clubs prescribe dose of innovation

Over 1,100,101 physicians are actively practicing medicine, according to research by Statista. The numerous years of education that healthcare professionals undergo all start at one point in their lives such as high school. Clubs such as Medlife, Future Health Leaders and Chantilly Red Cross Society are just a few of the healthcare clubs at CHS that can foster students’ interests in the medical field.

Medlife

A non-profit charity that was founded by Nick Ellis in 2004 is Medlife. The non-profit organization was established to encourage collaboration with patients and communities, focusing on their needs and offering support wherever necessary. There are hundreds of chapters globally that are committed to raising awareness about global health and development issues, gathering donations and providing volunteer services. 

“We do activities such as sending health care packages to the local hospitals and creating cards for patients,” Medlife president and senior Kaylee Baek said. “We also do school supply drives for people in need.”

Medlife had a meeting on March 11 to discuss the third United Nations Sustainable Development Goal, which aims to ensure healthy lives and promote well-being. In future meetings, they hope to invite guest speakers to discuss healthcare issues and to volunteer at the D.C. central kitchen.  For more information and updates on future meetings and activities, follow @medlifechantilly.

Future Health Leaders

One club that provides opportunities for students to learn about a range of health professions is Future Health Leaders (FHL).  In FHL meetings, members explore healthcare careers through conducting seminars with professionals. They also cover topics regarding medicine and healthcare and understand the basics of selecting and pursuing a healthcare career.

“The main goal of the club is to expose the students to various people in the medical occupation,” health and physical education teacher Carmen Wise said. “As one of the biggest clubs in CHS, more health-related clubs have started as an extension from that field which is great.”

The club has invited guest speakers such as Dr. Andrew J. Berry, a co-professor at Harvard, and Dr. Stephanie Waggel, a psychiatrist with her own private practice called Improve Life PLLC. To find out about their upcoming meetings and activities, follow the club’s Instagram @fhlchantilly.

Chantilly Red Cross Society 

The Red Cross is a non-profit organization that provides emergency assistance, disaster relief and education across the nation. It is renowned for its blood donation drives, support during disasters and efforts to promote health and safety through training and outreach programs.

“I joined the Chantilly Red Cross Society because I wanted volunteer opportunities and help around globally,” club president and senior Siddhi Surawkar said.

The Chantilly Red Cross Society had a blood drive during April, two years ago. They donated blood during the national blood shortage. Find out more opportunities, follow the club’s Instagram @chantillyrcs.

“As president, I hope to give members more opportunities like participating in a blood drive and hosting events in local hospitals,” Surawkar said.

CHS Red Cross members participate in a blood drive on April 1, 2022.
(Used with permission of Siddhi Surawkar)