BSA strives for equal access and opportunity, highlights importance of Black community

Sakina Tahir

A significant part of Black culture, Black History Month celebrates the achievements and contributions of African Americans.

Sakina Tahir, Staff Writer

Mental health in the Black community, missing white woman syndrome and contributions of Black LGBTQ+ individuals are all topics discussed in the Black Student Association’s (BSA) bimonthly meetings. Serving as a safe space for Black students and promoting fellowship and advocacy, members of the association work together to brainstorm solutions for different racial and cultural concerns that affect their academic and social experience.

“I was inspired to join BSA because I attended a critical Black studies program over the summer and realized how important and amazing it is to be in an all-Black space,” junior Kelly Agyeman said. “There is a very small population of Black students at CHS so going to a club together is a lot of fun. I love getting to meet and hangout with people who share similar experiences and perspectives.”

Members and sponsors of BSA also work to provide Black students with leadership positions, ensuring they have their voices heard, along with an increased sense of involvement in their communities. This is done by spreading awareness about scholarship opportunities and allowing students to organize protests, lead presentations in meetings and speak up about changes that can be implemented both inside and outside of school.

“I think something that can be improved from the academic side of things is having more Black and brown students enroll in higher level classes like AP, honors, or dual enrollment classes,” counselor and BSA club sponsor Dwayne Peyton said. “So putting more effort into helping students, all students in general, step out of their box and challenge themselves.”

A key event for the Black community and culture in general is Black History Month, as it celebrates African American history, achievements and contributions to society. Throughout the years, the association has worked to bring attention to the annual observance that occurs in February by organizing activities and events for both members of the club and the student body as a whole.

“This Black History Month, we hope to organize a basketball game open to all students,” senior Victoria Felder said. “We also plan to make informative posters about influential Black people who’ve made a difference in the lives of African Americans and Americans everywhere, to ensure that the people who have paved the way for our community get the recognition they deserve.”

Also in the works for this Black History Month is a potential partnership with Howard University, which would include either a performance or a presentation about the Howard experience as a Historically Black College or University (HBCU).

“My whole thing about Black History Month is yes, there are the things that people know, but also in our current time there are individuals making Black history right here in this moment,” Peyton said. “Yes, I want to learn about the past, but I also want to know what I don’t know about, and I want my students to come to know this information and be able to present that in a way that is fun, yet educating.”