breaking news

Student Spotlight: Sagi Kagitha paints her way through life

Anjali Ashok
Senior Sagi Kagitha sketches a drawing of herself during AP Art on Jan. 9.

Kagitha pursued her artistic passions from a young age, starting in art classes at age five where she began her journey illustrating basic geometrical objects. She would carefully sketch items, imitating their exact structure, and outside of these classes she found herself consumed with crafts and LEGOs.

“Ever since I can remember, I have been drawing,” Kagitha said. “Those weekly art classes where I learned to mix paints together and the basic techniques of painting turned into me expressing my emotions on a blank canvas and creating art that fueled my creativity.”

Kagitha has found other ways to grow her art beyond drawing and painting. She regularly experiments with different artistic mediums, like sculpture and face paints, during the summer and enriches her artistic pursuits with lessons on art history and techniques. In addition to her AP Art and 3D Studio Art classes, Kagitha also expresses her creativity through theater classes.

“As someone that has taken theater with Sagi throughout high school, I can tell how her artistic background contributes to her ability to express herself and portray herself emotionally,” senior Hansini Sattineni said. “Sagi has always been quick on her feet and able to display herself in theater in different manners and acting, which is a testament to her artistic background.”

Additionally, Kagitha has received multiple Chantilly Pyramid and other community awards for her published artwork. Frequently, these awards are for her most common art medium, paint. Kagitha chooses to use acrylics due to their ability to adapt to her creative choices.

“Through my use of acrylic materials, I have recently begun focusing on the human body and its textures and complex features,” Kagitha said. “It’s something that we all see everyday and trying to display every crevice and detail in a facial feature has definitely been a challenge, but one that I enjoy.”

Kagitha’s peers also speak highly of her attention to detail and accomplishments as an artist. Senior Riva Murali has taken many high school art classes with Kagitha, including their shared favorite of 3D Studio Art, where they can add individualistic elements into their artwork.

“Sagi’s ability to draw with very accurate proportions and mix together random colors [for her] piece impresses me everyday,” Murali said. “Ever since my first art class with Sagi, I knew that she was an extremely talented artist that would continue her passion throughout her life.”

She hopes to further develop her involvement in the arts by attending art school and majoring in architecture. 

“I always thought architecture was an interesting field, but only when I took a camp over the summer which allowed me to create my own structures, I truly fell in love with it,” Kagitha said. “Through art, I have learned how to express myself and its creative nature will help me as I pursue architecture. Although architecture may be my major, I know for sure that I will be unable to ever part with art.”