breaking news
  • Congrats for making to the end of the school year, Chargers!

Snowy weather flurries through Northern Virginia

Weather forecasts are predicting the temperature will get colder, with over 3.5 inches of snow above normal. After limited snowfall in recent years, Virginia is expecting significantly more this year.  

According to The Washington Post 0.4 inches of snow fell last year and it was the second warmest winter Virginia has had. This year, meteorologists  are expecting a harsher winter ahead with six or seven snow events throughout the winter. 

Sophomore Ria Kumar builds a snowman with the snow that fell on Friday, Jan. 19.
(Photo used with permission of Ria Kumar )

“I heard recently that there was going to be more snow in Virginia,” freshman Gabriella Abrigo said. “I’m not sure how accurate it is considering we’ve barely gotten any snow in the last couple of years.’’  

Fairfax County Public Schools (FCPS) recently announced the return of their former policy of no virtual learning on snow days. According to Virginia Law students must attend 180 days of school; up to 11 snow days won’t affect the calendar because they are already built in.

“I am very excited about the decision because online school was pretty rough in the first place,” Abrigo said. “It was harder for me to learn over the computer and to comprehend and focus, not to mention the technical difficulties it would come with.”

According to Trip Traveling Guide the overall forecast for this upcoming year snowfall is expected to be significantly above average compared to past years with the snowiest periods expected to be December, January and early February.

“I am not happy at all about the snow since I moved here from Hawaii the summer after my freshman year,” senior Mae O’Neill said. “I still haven’t fully adjusted to how cold NOVA can get, especially when you combine cold temperatures with snow and ice.”

The snow covers the covers track on the first snow day in two years on Tuesday, Jan. 16.
(Camila Rodriguez-Marrero)

Fairfax County Public Schools (FCPS) has stated that it isn’t practical to close schools by region because of the amount of students that attend the county. Whenever there is a chance of bad weather FCPS contacts the national weather service, VDPT and other weather and public safety agencies to make sure that the circumstances impact safety. When there is uncertainty they will wait until the latest morning forecast where the superintendent will make the final decision on whether to close the school or not at around 4:30 in the morning.

“Honestly I like that I have more time to sleep,” Kim said. “ I dread getting up for school, but now I can have a hot drink by my bed.”

On Dec. 11, Fairfax County experienced its first snowfall blanketing the area. About 5 inches of snow fell last week in Virginia with a snow day on Tuesday, a two-hour delay on Wednesday  and another snow day on Friday, these being the first snow days we’ve had in a while. 

“My plan is to stay home, sleep and enjoy sledding with my family and friends,”O’Neill said.

Watch a related TKN segment by Tyler DeMille here!