Classic movies to keep the Halloween spirit alive

Netflix+and+other+streaming+services+have+many+Halloween+movies+to+choose+from.+

Finn Geary

Netflix and other streaming services have many Halloween movies to choose from.

Finn Geary, Staff Writer

This spooky season, trick-or-treating may be difficult, but that doesn’t mean Halloween has to be. A big part of the festivities has always been the movies people watch to accompany the candy eating fun, and thankfully, that’s one tradition that remains unchanged in the era of COVID-19. Naturally, the Halloween season could mean many things to many people, whether it be horror, spooky comedies or a little bit of both, there is a movie for everyone.

“Halloween”

Recognized as one of the most iconic horror movies of all time, this film from 1978 remains the ultimate slasher flick and introduced many of the tropes used by horror films in the years to follow, including the masked killer, the “final girl”, the jumpscares and a darker look at suburbia. It follows the killing spree of 21-year-old Michael Myers, who looks for his victims in the streets of the same neighborhood where he had killed his sister 15 years prior. It’s still terrifying on first or even second viewing, due to excellent directing choices, stellar writing and a phenomenal performance from Jamie Lee Curtis, who plays the main heroine.

“Beetlejuice”

This bizarre take on death and the afterlife by Tim Burton is remembered for a reason. This film revolves around a couple who dies in a car accident and ends up haunting their own house, only to be greeted by the most unbearably annoying new residents in the world: the Deetzes. While trying to rid their house they enlist the help of a poltergeist named Beetlejuice, whose violent antics and crazy personality may be a bit more than the couple was hoping for. Michael Keaton is both hilarious and horribly disconcerting in his role as Beetlejuice, and delivers an unforgettable performance. Despite the raw comedic talent of actors like Alec Balwin and Geena Davis, the movie still manages to capture the spooky nature Tim Burton is known for.

“Alien”

Ridley Scott’s “Alien” is horror at it’s finest. No jumpscares or quick jump cuts can compare to the sheer terror and dread this movie is capable of creating. Follow the crew of engineers on a starship drifting through space as a bloodthirsty creature infiltrates their ship.

The movie uses award-winning actors like Sigourney Weaver as Ripley and expert camera and story techniques to keep viewers constantly on edge as they explore the lonely and perilous hallways of the spaceship “Nostromo,” as the crew members are picked off one by one. 

“[Alien] is the scariest thing I have ever seen,” sophomore Steven Weaver said. “I thought I knew what horror was before I saw it, but other horror movies now just feel shallow in comparison.”

“Happy Death Day”

The newest film on this list, it went almost completely unnoticed when it was released in 2017 due to relatively poor marketing, but audiences were pleasantly surprised by a charming and shockingly funny flick that expertly blends mystery and horror. The film is based on the premise of “Groundhog Day,” the idea of reliving the same day over and over, except this time, it follows college-age Tree Gelbman who is forced to relive her birthday over and over as a crazed serial killer in a baby mask hunts her down at the end of each day. Several times throughout the film, viewers will find themselves relating to the main character on such a personal level, as she navigates the situations she’s faced with exactly as a real person would, rather than a character in the average slasher flick would.

“I don’t think I’ve laughed so hard watching a horror movie in my life,” sophomore Christian Ford said. “Sometimes the comedy is so naturally tied in with the horror I wonder if it was intentional or not.”

“Scream”

Mocking the horror genre tropes, this film still scares and surprises viewers with unexpected twists. “Scream” masquerades as a simple slasher flick about a killer who wants to recreate movies like “Halloween” in real life, and the film uses this simple premise to lampoon the cliches and tropes that were common in horror at the time. It’s a film that makes viewers laugh out loud and jump in their seats, and remains a must-watch for every Halloween season. If there is any film to watch this October, it’s this one. 

The campy but convincing performances from actors like Neve Campbell and Courtney Cox, witty dialogue and expert scene composition make for a movie that gives new life to tired horror tropes and annoying cliches in a unique way. Filled with twists and turns, this movie does the completely unexpected, delivering a stunning horror movie experience that will keep viewers on the edge of their seats.