breaking news
  • Congrats for making to the end of the school year, Chargers!

Review: Brawl Stars levels up with new updates

Tick, a brawler in the game, stands in the lobby of the current Godzilla season.

Colors dance across the screen as the game finishes, flashing blue with the headline “Victory” and eight trophies, displaying the player’s stats. The player has just won a round in a Brawl Stars 3v3 mode.

Brawl Stars is a fast-paced multiplayer online battle royale and third person shooter video game. The game was developed and published by the Finnish game company Supercell, released worldwide on Dec. 12, 2018.

When playing Brawl Stars in 2019, the mechanics of the game were a lot different compared to now, including multiple reworks of the old brawlers, which are the playable characters in the game. Many components of the game have been added, such as an expanded roster of 79 brawlers, Star drops, Brawl pass and Club activities which provide resources for in-game resources. In contrast, many aspects have also been removed, like Brawl boxes, which provided in-game currency, and Star points, that players can use to buy skins.

The reason for Brawl Stars’ recent popularity is the many fun options, such as being able to play with and against friends, compete worldwide online and use different game-changing abilities such as modes and modifiers. The game includes many features and modes for players to enjoy. My favorites are Showdown, which is a battle royale based mode, and Brawl Ball, a 3v3 soccer based mode where players try to score on the other team. They are my favorites because they’re more interesting compared to other modes, which have no special features.

In a February update, a new ranked mode was added, which is a competitive mode including different maps and modifiers in 3v3 modes such as Gem Grab and Brawl Ball. From winning games in ranked mode, players can then gain points which progress them through different ranks which correlate to skill. For example, players who receive a bronze ranking are less skilled compared to people who receive a master rank. Ranked is fun to play because of the possibilities of randomization of modes and different brawlers. 

The most recent update is the new Godzilla themed Brawl pass season 26, which was released on May 2. One flaw of the Brawl pass, is that in January, the Brawl pass was modified to be only bought with real money instead of gems, which is in-game currency, and makes the game pay-to-win by providing coins and powerpoints. With each new season comes new updates, including the new Mecha-Tick skin with light and dark versions as the pass exclusive skin. The season changes every two months, introducing many different Godzilla themed modes based around cities along with added rampages. 

Along with the new season comes two new brawlers, Lily and Draco. Lily is a mythic brawler that was released publicly on May 2. Draco will be released as a mid-season update, and he is a legendary brawler.

Overall, Brawl Stars is an entertaining game due to its many features, including the brawlers players can use as well as its levels and trophy system. The game entertains many students from different grades and classes, bringing them together.

The ending of a game displays the stats of the players showing the amount of trophies received by a player.