Doc Martens fit every students style

The+Collier+Bex+platforms+have+a+1.5+inch+platform+and+2+inch+heel.+This+variation+of+the+shoe+also+has+two+sets+of+laces+on+each+shoe.+Another+noticeable+stylistic+choice+for+this+is+the+extra++yellow+lacing+and+the+bronze+eyelets+holders.+

Blake Jocuns

The Collier Bex platforms have a 1.5 inch platform and 2 inch heel. This variation of the shoe also has two sets of laces on each shoe. Another noticeable stylistic choice for this is the extra yellow lacing and the bronze eyelets holders.

Blake Jocuns, Copy Editor

Known for their crisp yellow stitch, Doc Martens are worn both for style and their long lasting leather. Offering 406 different shoes, ranging from sandals, sneakers and their famous boots, there are plenty of choices for a customer to consider.

“I was on the fence, but my mom convinced me to get them for the beginning of the year,” junior Samantha Massi said. “My docs make me feel so confident. The docs I got make me taller and also I love the style”

Being in business for 50 years, Doc Martens were initially marketed toward working class individuals, and soon after, became a staple of the rock and alternative music scene, according to the company’s website. Within subcultures such as punk, goth, grunge, mod and many others, people use the color of their laces to show their political and ideological affiliation. 

“I got the classic ones for the classic look,” senior Molly Shear said. “The cost was definitely worth it because I got them cheap on Amazon.”

Senior Ben Ratner owns the desert leather Cabrillo Crazy Horse boots. On the Doc Martens website the shoes sell at $100 and can also be bought in black. The Cabrillo is a newer variation of the older Crazy Horse leather style, as these ankle high boots have only 2 eyelets compared to Doc Martens usual of six or more eyelets. The stitching color on both the black and brown variation of the shoe matches the color of the leather and the only noticeable stitch is the traditional yellow sole stitch.

“Doc Martens go with oodles of outfits,” Ratner said. “I’ve had [mine] for about a year now. It kind of shows because they’re pretty creased, but they still look pretty dashing. The number of outfits that you can create with a pair of Doc Martens are unparalleled to any other shoe in existence.”

Today, Doc Martens are worn by anyone who has the determination and strategy to break them in. Breaking in Docs is considered a core part of owning them, as there are six tips to follow and multiple products that can help mold your new shoes and protect your ankles. Some of the tips the website recommends are bending and twisting the shoes by hand, wearing thick socks and using their product Wonder Balsam to speed up the leather softening process.

The number of outfits that you can create with a pair of Doc Martens are unparalleled to any other shoe in existence.

— Senior Ben Ratner

“I broke in my Docs by wearing them on the weekends when I would be able to take them off at home,” Massi said. “They definitely were hard to break in but I don’t remember it taking a particularly long time.”

Massi currently sports a black Smooth Leather pair of 1460. Listed at $150, similar to Ratner’s Cabrillo’s, these eight eyelet lace up boots have discrete leather stitching that matches the color of the leather. These are Doc Martens bestsellers and one of the first shoes they sold. The 1460s has just under an inch of heel and has the largest variety of colors and print designs to choose from. 

When Doc Martens were first on shelves, they were priced at £2; however due to inflation Docs have a considerable price tag on them ranging from $85 to $270.

“Because they cost a lot, they’re very unique and a blend of all the shoes that you’ve ever seen,” Ratner said. “They’re a unique shoe for unique people.”

For those not completely interested in paying full price, Nordstrom Rack, Amazon and buying second hand on Depop are viable alternatives. Doc Martens do not sell half sizes and their sizing varies between shoes, so when looking to purchase a pair, always check the size measurements. 

“If I went and washed [my] pair or if I needed another pair, I would go right back to Doc Martens,” Ratner said. “My next boots are probably going to be Doc Martens.”