breaking news

Hamas attacks Israel – Innocent citizens put at risk

Hamas, an Islamic Resistance Movement group that is a military organization in Palestine, struck southern and central Israel on Oct. 7, firing nearly 3,000 rockets in 20 minutes. With over a thousand people killed and up to 300 captured. More than 1,400 Israelis were killed, including children, and another 3,400 people have been left injured after Hamas fired their rockets.

“A lot of innocent people have died in the conflict,” freshmen Linlett Aung said. “I hope that they take action to resolve it quickly or else more and more bystanders will be sacrificed.”  

After the attack, Israel struck back by destroying a residential building in Gaza. A week later on Oct. 13, the Israeli government ordered Palestinians in northern Gaza to evacuate within 24 hours. Only some Palestainians followed the order. As they were trying to flee from their home, they were hit by airstrikes from the Israelis outside the evacuation zone.

“If you support a side’s war efforts, then you should actually support them with any aid, not just medical,” English teacher Andrew Wax said.  “There are never enough support services in war. I do not wish to see more of my brothers lose their lives for no-win situations.”

According to the  Palestinian Authority Ministry of Health, hospitals are at more than 150% of their capacity and they are not sure everyone will get the medical attention they need. On Oct. 10, Superintendent Dr. Michelle Reid sent a message to the FCPS community. She shared her sympathy and made it clear no hate speech will be accepted on FCPS grounds. 

“I think it’s great that FCPS is getting involved in this topic and helping those who need the support at this time,” Aung said.

In the U.S., President Joe Biden has vowed to stand with Israel. The White House has sent warships to help Israel, and the U.S. Defense Secretary Lloyd Austin said that the U.S. would do whatever is needed to help secure Israel. On Oct. 20, President Biden broke the news that 31 identified Americans have died in the Israel-Hamas war. 

“Sending American lives and funds to fight others’ battles when there’s so many conflicts and controversies within the US that need support seems foolish,” Wax said. 

At the ‘March for Israel’ in Washington, D.C. on Nov 14, families of those who were held hostage by Hamas went to protest pro- Israel. A large crowd of 290,000 walked the march in person, while 250,000 watched online. Relatives of those who were held hostage moved the group by chanting “Bring them home.” 

“It’s great to see people forming crowds in the U.S. when they don’t have enough support already,” Aung said.

On Oct. 18, President Biden gave a speech announcing more than 1,300 innocent Israelis have been killed including 31 American citizens by Hamas.  In Palestine according to the United Nations on Nov. 7, 8,805 Palestinians have been killed since Oct 7.

Article updated as of Jan. 2, 2024.