breaking news

Fewer siblings fuel less conflict, leads to more privacy

Owen Guzman

BAM! The electric toothbrush flies across the room and as it hits the wall, the three siblings continue screaming and howling like a pack of wolves. Amidst the chaos, another toothbrush hits the mirror, shattering it, yet the siblings continue to roar in the warzone that the bathroom has turned into. 

Having no siblings can have many different benefits including privacy and peacefulness. With siblings out of the picture, a peaceful home can arise.  only one child can make a household much easier to handle, especially for new parents who may not be ready for the responsibilities that come with having more than one child.

Privacy in a home is important. According to MedicineNet, many families with one child can afford to give their child their own room, while families with more than one child may not have the ability to do the same for their children, causing them to share a room and the possibility of conflict begins to form. 

While a child has their own room, they can also have access to more resources that may not be spread evenly with families consisting of multiple children. Personally, I don’t have any siblings, and not having to share makes me grateful to be an only child. I’ve been able to explore my interests more deeply without any obstacles or people in the way.

With all the fighting siblings can have, sibling rivalry is very common. If siblings continue to fight over and over, the fights may last longer, and they can stay mad at each other for an extensive time period, which can lead to a big uprise in conflict, no matter how big or small the issue may be, paving a road for estranged relationships. According to Next Avenue, 50% of all adult siblings continue to argue and feel competitive towards each other even as they grow older.

Furthermore, a peaceful household can result from having one child in a small home, allowing more time for parents to relax and decompress from a long day. According to Huffpost, coming home from decompressing is just what a parent and a single child needs, which can allow more time for relaxing and more alone time for both. The lack of a sibling allows the parent to cater the needs of only one child, which leads to an easier lifestyle.